Friday, December 12, 2014

Week 15


Bibi: The Blue Diamonds  mixed media
Mimi: Blue Diamonds cut fabric


Mimi:   Blue Diamonds


I entered the studio this morning and the sunlight was shining brightly through the window.  I noticed it shining through a small electric fan in the table. It created small diamond shapes on the blue fabric underneath it.  I traced the shadows on the fabric and cut out the diamond shapes.  Bright sunlight, cool blue fabric, diamonds.



Bibi: detail
Bibi:    The Blue Diamonds
At 8:30, I walked into my studio and noticed the blue diamond paperweights that my parents gave to me. They barely glowed in the sunlight, even though they are a very dense color. For some reason, these objects were not packed away with the rest of my things, and they stood out to me today. I made a connection between the blue color and my “blues,” as well as the connection to my parents. The two diamond-gems are not transparent and the color is very heavy. I thought about how a lot of my “blues” can be traced back to my parents.

The poem came to me right away, so I wrote it down. It wasn’t 9 AM yet, so I played the piano and thought of the blue diamonds. When 9 came, I went to my box of stuff and pulled out a book of blue fabric samples. I saw the diamond shapes in the designs and put the together pieces that I thought worked together.

When I told Mimi about my blue diamonds, she laughed. It turns about she had seen a blue diamond pattern on her studio wall that she had never noticed before. So the diamond was her theme that day as well.


                  Blue Diamonds    B.H.M.


                   This morning

                   sun is shining on

                   the blue diamonds

                   as I walk in to the room



                  The blue diamonds

                  are so dark and dense

                  The light could barely 

                  shine through them     



                  Rubbing them with my fingers
                  dusting off the old dust and prints that had marked them

                  The blue diamonds

                  were  given to me by my parents



                   Polishing the diamonds

                   balancing the blues

                   Matching & connecting the diamonds

                   working out the blues



                  Letting and permitting the rays of sunlight

                  passing through the diamonds

                  Seeing & singing

                  the blues with delight



1 comment:

  1. Wow. I am constantly amazed at both of your works individually...but these collaborations are so fun and fantastic!
    Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful experiences.

    ReplyDelete