Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Week 5


Bibi  Nesting - Fabric, wax, paper

Bibi:    Nesting
A week ago, before making this piece I had found batting material that was chewed and had mouse droppings on it.  I thought- they must be using it for a nest and I saved the clean part.  This week Frank set traps and we caught three mice.As I began working, I was grabbing things and thinking of the dead mice and the nice warm nest they had with my batting material.   I was also thinking I was happy to have my own house intact after the big storm.  That is why I made the origami house. I also noticed that the pieces I cut out of the batting looked like mouse holes.



Mimi  Nest, detail - Yarn, balls on vellum
Mimi:    Nest
I started out with blue and orange again, but then said- no, that doesn’t feel right.  I was thinking about the time we had to move into the studio because of the toxicity from the house renovation.  I was remembering all the mice we had caught in here and when we were sleeping here a mouse crawled over me in the night.  This past week we caught three.  I was thinking about the idea of home and what it has meant to me recently.  I have come to appreciate a safe place, a home, and am grateful to be living back in our house.  For the piece, I worked with yarn, forming it into a nest in my hands and sewing it onto vellum.  Felt good to be forming the yarn,


                        
                      
                   
                     Nesting   Bibiana Huang Matheis




                       White - comfort

                      Orange      Yellow            Green
                       pride         happiness        health

                                         Red - love

                       Blue           Indigo            Violet
                       peace         support           tranquility

                                         Pink - harmony

                     Orange       Yellow           Green
                      joy              warmth          grow






No comments:

Post a Comment