Thursday, July 25, 2013

Week 9




   
Mimi (L) Keep Steady-Fabric,newsprint,thread on vellum. Bibi (R) Walking Away From Feeling Small-Photo, pencil.
                                                                                 


Mimi Keep Steady, detail

Mimi:  Keep Steady 
I went to work as usual on the new date, but had forgotten we had set a new time.  I was not able to work, and I felt stymied and stifled.  I left the studio to call Bibi to tell her nothing was coming to me.  She reminded me we had set a new time and to try again later.   I went back to work at the correct time and immediately knew what to do.  I was thinking -blue, keep steady, large, where do I want to go?  I created a collage from sky blue net fabric with a pocket. In the pocket I inserted a square cut out from a comic with lines like an animal's (elephant's) hair.



  




Bibi Walking Away from Feeling Small, detail

Bibi: Walking Away From Feeling Small                                    Mimi called around 11am to say she didn't "get anything". She had forgotten we had changed the time to 1pm.  It made me realize that we needed that connection between us to make it happen.  That morning I had a dream of a very small elephant walking through a jungle. I woke up thinking, "Why do I feel so small?" I decided to do a piece about not feeling so small anymore. I worked with images from the St. Louis Zoo and a field in the Midwest. I noticed that I had cut out a hole in the field accidentally.  The elephant is walking away from the emptiness of the hole.  When talking to Mimi after we were both finished I realized I had the negative space (the hole) in my piece and she had the positive (cut out) in hers.


                                       
                                       Walking Away From Feeling Small  B. H. M.

                                       Move on
                                       Move to
                                       A new plane

                                       Walk in
                                       A new direction

                                       Take on
                                       A new course

                                        Jump start
                                       A new progress

                                       Moving  on
                                       toward
                                       A new zone



No comments:

Post a Comment