Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Week 6

Mimi (Left) Free Falling Through  - Yarn, vellum. Bibi (Right) Be - Photograph, found objects



Mimi  Free Falling, detail

 
 Mimi:    Free Falling Through
As I began working, I was feeling sadness.  I was thinking about going through that feeling to get to the other side.   Maybe I will see things differently on the other side. I worked again with yarn, vellum and thread.  The piece developed very effortlessly.  


Bibi:    Be
After the yard clean up, my Buddha sculpture had to be moved to a new spot. I was thinking of Buddha and randomly chose things to work with that morning. I drew a template of the Buddha shape and traced it on a recent print. As I cut out the curves of the Buddha shape, I saw the photo in a different way. I was able to notice the details instead of viewing it as a whole image. I was looking at it “askew” and realized that I had to look at my life that way. I needed a new perspective on things; I had to perceive things differently.

The idea of the clothes hanger kept popping into my head all morning. I had gathered many different ones, not sure if I was even going to use then. I ended up choosing to hang Buddha from one of Maya’s old hangers. It turns out that the photo I just cut up was one I took of Maya. I had cut 5 of the Buddha shapes altogether, so when I had to cut the batting in the Buddha shape, it came naturally. The curve of the cut was almost instinctive.

I have had the feather for at least 30 years. It was almost as if it was just waiting to be used in this piece.

This piece taught me to have a new perspective on life… to just “BE.” I shouldn’t worry about things that I can’t change. To focus on myself and not worry about others so much. To trust my instincts to do art and live in my own reality.  While making art, I am happy.   Mimi was sad that day. I told her about my experience of looking at things in a different way.  Perhaps it is a way to work through the sadness.


                        

    Be  Bibiana Huang Matheis                               
Bibi Be, detail
     



    Draw and cut the contour
    Draw from the top

   Cut from the bottom
   Cut -- at first is slow

   Focus around the curve
   Found novel groundwork

   Discover a new way
   Different perspective

   Navigate  it a few times
   No longer need the contour

   Thanks -- I can cut free hand  smoothly
   Transform

   Be -- just

No comments:

Post a Comment